12/13/08

My answer to the 20 Actresses Meme: I like Actors better

There's a 20 favorite actresses meme going around. It started at The Film Experience blog. I've had a terrible time trying to come up with a list of my own. Not because there are so many actresses out there, but because I've realized that there aren't a lot of actresses I think are really great. How can this be? I don't know. Maybe I am jealous watching someone else get the leading man of my dreams. Maybe I am jealous of really beautiful women. Maybe as a girl, I've just learned to be catty to other girls. Isn't that sad? Whatever the case, I have come up with a list of 20 actresses that don't (usually) annoy me:


That's Leslie, Lee, Marilyn, Cate, Grace; Katharine, pre-botox Meg, Ingrid, Tina, Judy; Meryl, Natalie, Ginger, Mary, Amy; Hayley, Gwyneth, Judy, Agnes & Lauren.

Cate Blanchett has the distinction of being the only one on this list whose movies I don't own. I just think she is a good actress (and she doesn't irritate me).

My favorites on here are Katharine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman & Ginger Rogers.

As I was making this list, I decided it would be much more fun to make a list of favorite actors. I thought, surely someone is bound to answer back the top 20 actresses list with their top 20 actors, right? It might as well be me. And so I made this list, and it was such a breeze! Here come the men:

That's Clark, Henry, Gene, Joseph, George C., Spencer, Humphrey, Dana, William, Jack; Cary, Paul, Jimmy, Ray, Orson; Marlon, Kirk, Sidney, George & Alec.

You'll see this list was made with only classic movie actors. So as a bonus, here's another five new(er) actors I happen to like:

Jude, Harrison, Ewan, Leo & Tom.

If I tried to narrow this list down to top favorites, it would probably be Spencer Tracy, Jack Lemmon, Humphrey Bogart, Dana Andrews, Cary Grant, Ray Milland, Orson Welles, Jimmy Stewart, Paul Newman & Tom Hanks. See how much more generous I am to the males?

If you want to make your own list, feel free to choose actresses or actors or both. If you do actors, please link or comment here with your lists. I'd like to see some more testosterone about. Let the 20 Actors meme begin!

4 comments:

Bob Turnbull said...

Hi Wendy...

I just put up my own list that I've been working on for a few days.

Man, both lists were tough...

David Bishop said...

Unfortunately, I think this is too tough for me to attempt. I enjoy your list though. I wish your new(er) actors list included John Cusack, but other than that, I can't really disagree with anything.

Wendymoon said...

Nice list, Bob!

David, John Cusack was on my short list, but got cut when it got shorter. I do like him a lot.

It's funny, with my list of actresses, I chose a lot more current names over classic movie actresses. (Even popular ones -- for example, I feel Audrey is a bit overrated and Myrna just makes me cringe...) And I thought about a lot more current actresses that didn't quite make it. But classic easily won out for the men.

Becca said...

Wow you have some really interesting choices I haven't seen anywere else! I'm really looking forward to Tina's career!

And George C. Scott! Ugh I'm kicking myself for leaving him off my list! What an actor!

AddThis Feed Button